Gas prices continue to rise, creating a financial hardship for those who need to drive, for whatever reason. When gas prices rise, there are a dozen articles written on the best ways to save gasoline: combine trips, shop via the Internet, do your errands in the most efficient way possible.
I'm sure that most of us can come up with our own creative ways to save gasoline, if we put our minds to it. It's not easily done because we are so dependant on our vehicles, but times are forcing us to change I think.
Here are some quick hints to get your ideas flowing:
- Empty your car of any excess weight (and that doesn't mean your spouse!). Don't store items in your car that don't need to be there on your next trip out.
- Drive slower. This is such a good idea for many reasons, but maybe the hardest of all to do. I don't see much evidence that drivers are slowing down, but it would be a great way to save fuel.
- Leave windows up when you are driving at higher speeds.
- Use a/c only when you need to.
- Don't idle your car. Turn it off instead.
Let me know if you have other ideas and I will publish them here.