Yeasty Mosaic at Disney's California Adventure

Yeasty Mosaic at Disney's California Adventure
Yeasty Mosaic at Disney's California Adventure

Monday, January 12, 2015

Left Brain, Right Brain, Ha!



This is just one of the grocery shopping lists I made and used during the holidays. I usually throw these away in the store when I am done shopping, but this one fascinated me. I couldn't help but think about all those left brain/right brain references I always find in books about creativity and especially, about writing. And I wondered what a psychiatrist would think of my work above, wondering if I may have created a whole new part of the brain.

For a quick review, the left brain is supposedly in charge of logic, language, math and the ability to retrieve facts. Think Mr. Spock. The right brain, on the other hand, is the creative part. It's intuitive, subjective and thoughtful. Think Capt. Kirk.

So in those writer's texts, the lesson was that you should create your greatest work by relying on the right brain, and trying to keep the left side, also known as The Editor, from making comments like: What are you thinking? No one will read this! Or This is the worst story/article/poem I have ever read. Delete it now before someone gets hurt!

Of course these situations would also apply to anyone trying to create anything. Not a happy meeting of the minds for sure.

But today's experts now say these two brain hemispheres always work together, helping each other out when the time comes. So no one is so entrenched in one side of their brain to the point that they can't make use of the talents the other hemisphere offers.

So my disorganized shopping list doesn't define me either way. I'm just a messy thinker no matter which side of the brain I am using.

I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I am the creator of the web's premiere Baby Boomer site: Boom This: A Generational Thing!(www.boomthis.com)